03 August 2010

Toma to play Genji

It was announced that Ikuta Toma has the lead role in a movie adaptation of The Tale of Genji. The Tale of Genji was written in the Heian period of Japan and is cited as the first Japanese novel. Toma will be playing the lead character Genji in the film and the film is set to be released sometime in 2011.

Tokyo Graph article. (English)

Personally I've read parts of the story and I am curious to how they will do this adaptation because the actions of several characters, especially Genji, are quite questionable for the modern day. I mean I don't think raising a girl as your daughter so you can eventually make her your wife is just not something that does not come off as creepy in this day and age. But considering how long the story is and the length a movie would have to be I'm sure they'll be changing quite a bit of the story anyway.

No comments: